In books, we trust!


 
 
March activities in the library
 
 
 
It was March break for kids and local library organised some sessions for kids. Library is not only for adults but fun for kids too. There’s always something going on for them. For the first time, I have seen libraries occupied and people sitting, reading and working earnestly on their laptops. As a freelancer, I usually dig for a place which offers WiFi, comfy seats and an opportunity for serendipitous encounters. And libraries in Canada provide all three in abundance. They serve as my de facto workspace. I occasionally bring my son here and he joyfully explores kids section while I fire away my reports from my laptop. 

In one such encounter, I met a guy from Syria. He shared his experience which was quite unique to Canada. 

“I grew up in Syria and was not allowed to read books. My first exposure to non-fiction books was in my college. And I started reading management books. Then I moved to Dubai and I continued reading and learning from various management authors. In fact, those books helped in my career growth. After I moved to Canada, I visited Central Library in Missisauga where I was amazed to see such a huge library in the middle of the town. And from then on it became my 3 years old daughter’s favourite place. There are story times and family time in the kids section, and I ensure that my daughter never misses such events.” 

All across the globe, good roads, shiny buildings and glitzy malls maybe the ‘poster boys’ of development but the real sign of development are libraries. “Whatever the cost of our libraries but price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation." Said Walter Cronkite. And I concur.  This is a concept that is not properly understood by many countries and their politicians but this is the best aspect of Canada for me. 

In another chance encounter, I met a Canadian who loves to read. He professed his love for reading and said that it’s the only advice he gives to anyone on what to do with free time. 

"I used to work in a call centre. While I was trying to resolve a customer’s query, we got talking. The Game of Thrones (GoT) new season had premiered a couple of days back and it was difficult to not talk about it. The customer asked me emphatically if I had watched the new season yet. I said no, I hadn’t. The customer was surprised at my response because of the cult status that GoT has acquired in a short period. I told him that I liked to read books and read George R R Martin’s GoT books and that they were the best fictional books ever written. For him it was a revelation that I am not tempted to watch one of the most talked about show in the history of TV. I didn’t want to ruin my experience of the series which I gained from the books. And that left him surprised.” 

“Did you finally get to watch GoT TV series?” I asked him. 

“I did not watch the series until it reached the fourth season. I was not disappointed by the series. It is as close an adaptation as possible. But I would still recommend to read the books instead of watching TV series. You can’t beat those books.” 

"Which is your favourite character in GoT?” I asked him. 
“Tyrion” he said. 
“Why”
“Because my name is also Tyrion.” He said with a smile as we parted our ways.  
__________________
 
Adesh Sidhu has recently moved to Canada and is spending time to explore it through its people and places. He blogs on North And Windy. And sends a weekly newsletter about Canada - cool and interesting links - to its subscribers. He’s also a Digital Marketer helping small businesses to increase their digital footprint.
 
 

Subscribe to my newsletter - all cool and interesting things about Canada

* indicates required

Comments

  1. Sidhu ji very well written, its great knowing canada through your blogs, would love to bump into you at central library...cheers Japneet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles of Immigrants in Canada

A Student's Life in Canada

5 Observations About Canada