Niagara-on-the-Lake


 
 

Snow covered beach is a treat to eyes.
 
 
Note:
Niagara-on-the-Lake is known for its wineries. But on this visit, wineries were not on my list. There are two reasons for it. The first one is that I do not drink as alcohol and my taste buds never agreed with each other. And, second, this was a get-to-know-the-town kind of a trip.

Once you leave the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), drive towards Niagara-on-the-Lake is picturesque.

My friends had recommended many things/activities for the place but this being my first trip to the pretty town, I am sure many good things were missed. I will come back to enjoy it more.

Pitstop: I stopped at A&W. My five year old is BFF with french fries so when I spotted A&W, I knew it was time for a break.

Drive: Like I said, as soon as you exit the QEW, the drive is scenic and breathtaking. Miles long rolling fields laden with grape vines as far as eyes could see, with few wineries. As I travelled during winters, the roads were deserted. We crossed few vehicles on our way. But in summers, I expect nothing less than a cavalcade of cars as it is one of the popular wine tasting destination around Toronto. Finding a parking spot of choice on Main Street was a breeze due to lean tourist season.

Do/See: I started my stroll on the Main street. The Cenotaph in the middle of this bustling street is hard to miss. This was erected by people of the town in remembrance of the soldiers killed in World War 1. According to the town history, town folks had an option of spending their money either on building a war memorial or a hospital. They decided to remember their fallen. And this Cenotaph is a simple structure, with a clock tower stands tall remembering the heroes. I sauntered slowly down the street and which is laden with designer boutiques, wine shops, bistros, more wine shops, shops selling souvenirs and more shops dispensing wine. None of these shops were of interest to me and hence, I continued my stroll towards the water front. The road to water front has many houses which dating back to 1800s. And they are preserved well. Well maintained pathways, beautiful decoration on the doors and magnificent fountains added to the charm of the place. Looking at those immaculate houses, I could picture well-manicured summer gardens. With the calmness around me, I felt as if I was transported couple of centuries back. And just then a car swished past me to jolt me out of my trance.

Main Street is where the action is.

A Cenotaph standing tall in the middle.


Few steps before the water front is a plaque remembering a prominent Ontario newspaper called The Gleaner which was published from 1817 to 1837. The water front was enchanting with pristine white snow covering the beach. The stroll on the beach made me realise that it was indeed a cold and windy day. A white lighthouse was visible from the water front. It was built in 1804 and one of the first light houses to be constructed on Niagara River. Presently, it is situated on a private marina and due to chilly weather I decided not to walk up there, leaving it to another day.


Yikes Moment: Two youngsters were sitting on a bench facing the water front and enjoying their beer. As soon as their beer finished, they threw their empty cans on the snow and walked away. It saddens me to see people mindlessly throwing garbage in the open.

This enticed me inside this beautiful cafe.

Lunch/Snacks: I spotted a cafe called IL Gelato Di Corlotta with attractive window display on the Main Street enticing me to step inside. As I ordered my coffee and food, owner came over to my table to say hello. And his dog followed him in welcoming me. My son patted the dog and we started chatting. He was an immigrant and landed in Canada when he was just eight years old. He worked jobs before starting his cafe. Business flourished and today he has four cafes in Greater Toronto Area. His friendliness was infectious and chocolate cake was delicious. Therein lay the secret of his success.

Sunset: It was a cloudy day with little sun. Complete darkness set in around 5 PM on the way back. We stopped at Tims to refuel ourselves for our journey back.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles of Immigrants in Canada

A Student's Life in Canada

5 Observations About Canada